Saturday 23 January 2010

Old Friends

Today’s plan was to head for the Northland, but a phone call a couple of nights ago factored in a diversion on the way.

Years ago, when I arrived in Peterlee to take up a teaching post, I met some wonderful people, none more wonderful than a family that I was to come to know very well. The family that I refer to is the Frains, Pat and Vin and their six children. I taught their children, went camping with Vin and the kids and valued the friendship that developed then and remains to this day. As Sheila and I started our family it was natural for us to go to the Frains for baby sitters. Pat did duty, then daughter Patsy and as she headed for university younger daughter Anne took over. Anne had left England over twenty four years ago spending some years in Hong Kong before settling in New Zealand with her husband, Geoff and their children. So it was a real treat to visit Anne and Geoff’s home to catch up with many lost years.


Geoff and Anne

Anne

Anne remains the lovely young woman that left our shores and I hope that a little bit of home coming to Kaukapakapa was fun for her. Geoff became an instant soul mate as we chatted wine. I related the tale of the wine found on the previous night and how good I thought it to be. Yes it was his favourite and he was quick to show me the photograph on his computer of the aforesaid bottle. Just as quickly I drew my camera and showed the shot I had taken the previous evening, almost identical. By now you must be wondering what this nectar is and I will hold you in suspense no longer, Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc, if you spot it try it.


Sheila, Anne and the Old Man

The Wonderful Wither Hills

Our journey north ended up being somewhat different to the intended route. An accident had closed part of the main road north and in being diverted we encountered for the first time the unpaved roads that proliferate in the countryside, a bit more interesting than your average motorway.

Weariness is starting to take over and tonight could be an early one, oh no I see that Sheila has found the guidebook AND the maps. Tomorrow should be interesting.

5 comments:

  1. it was so good to speak to you the other day - cd have cried when missed you twice!! Remind me was Anne the ballerina who mam used to make costumes for? Jack got man of the match again today, they drew and won. Sophie got her dance dvd from the christmas show so we have been treated to even more dance shows in the living room.got good news today - due a tax rebate so have booked a weekend in center parcs at the end of the easter hols, only to find that jayne, neil and kids are going the same weekend so now joanne and chris are looking to book too. Nothing in comparison to your trip but we are looking forward to it. xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself utterly disgusted that your bus passes dont work in new zealand. Bloomin tories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norah - Right up the Antipodes, as they say.

    Sarah - Anne certainly was a dancer, Mam's off washing so can't check with her. Well done with tax rebate, and great to hear news of your lovely ones, give them a cuddle from me.

    Michael - the bus pass may not work but your mother is claiming 65 over here to access senior discounts. Actually i got it on request, they asked her if she was over 65 and with her yes she is overjoyed that i clearly looked older than her. I'll never hear the end of it. Bif hugs to Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne the dancer - It was wonderful to see you both again after so so so many years. I am still heart broken that you married Sheila and didn't wait for me. Enjoy your stay in NZ and if you do manage to be back in Auckland please let me know as it would be great to see you both again before to fly off for new adventures.

    ReplyDelete